(picture taken 7/07: Bernie Braden, Gary Bowler, Deb Cullen)
In the early days (before air-conditioning) Cape Coral was well known by sportsmen who traveled far to enjoy the tremendous fishing and hunting this neck of land had to offer.
In the late 1950’s the Rosen brother’s dream of a canal-side community rose from the scrub-scattered sandy peninsula. They purchased the land, platted the community and dug over 400 miles of canals. A world-wide, real estate marketing campaign resulted in the sale of almost all of the 350,000 residential building lots available. Slowly, homes sprung up throughout the Yacht Club area and have steadily moved west and north.
The construction of the Cape Coral Bridge, connecting Cape Coral to Ft. Myers, was an essential component of the early growth of the city. A while later the Mid-Point bridge followed, creating a second connection between the two cities.
Without a doubt, these early pioneers would be impressed with the remarkable city Cape Coral has become.
The City incorporated in August 1970, and its population continues to grow rapidly. With more than 160,000 residents.